Coventry Sphinx 1 Long Eaton 3 – Under Par Sphinx punished


Coventry Sphinx came into the game as favourites to win this match but if you don’t perform in this league you get punished and Long Eaton did exactly that to them. Once again Sphinx conceded the first goal which left them chasing a game they should really have been leading in. Long Eaton gained confidence from their goal and went on to take a deserved three points despite the late attempt at a comeback from Sphinx. Failure to defend properly and failure to take your chances usually ends in defeat and that’s exactly what happened today.

Four changes were made to the team that drew against Heanor Town in midweek. Absent from the starting line up were Hill, Deehan, McGarrity and Tomkinson who was completing his transfer to Worcester City. Coming in were Lower, Burt, Woodward and Brown with new signing Charlie Faulkner taking a place on the bench. Sphinx started brightly and Long Eaton had to be alert in defence as Sphinx looked to take the game to the visitors. The Sphinx domination continued for a good 20 minutes but the Long Eaton goal remained intact. Long Eaton steadily established a foothold in the match and as we approached the break they were getting a good spell of their own. They then did exactly what Sphinx had failed to do by converting that spell into a goal. The visitors had taken the lead in the 41st minute and Sphinx would have to reassess their approach to this match at half time.


An early second half substitution brought Jamie Towers into the action but within two minutes Sphinx went further behind. Sphinx forward Brown was thwarted by the Long Eaton keeper in a one on one and Long Eaton promptly went up the other end and doubled their lead. Brown then had another good chance for Sphinx but his effort was comfortably saved. Long Eaton were looking largely untroubled on their two goal lead but Sphinx gave themselves a glimmer of hope when two substitutes combined to pull a goal back. Faulkner did well on the right to head back in his own blocked cross and Towers nipped in front of a defender to head in from close range. More chances came and went for Sphinx in the last ten minutes but a 90th minute red card for Matty Burt led to the free kick that sealed the game for the visitors. Sphinx were caught napping at the free kick which Long Eaton took full advantage of to make it 3-1 in added time and secure their first league win of the season.


Sphinx were simple not good enough today and while they had plenty of opportunities to score themselves today, the Long Eaton goals came far too easily and that was the reason defeat came today. Credit to Long Eaton though who took full advantage of a lethargic Sphinx performance. Sphinx are next in action in the League Cup on Tuesday evening when they visit Butlin Road to take on Rugby Town.


Came off the bench in the second half and got the Sphinx goal

COVENTRY SPHINX TEAM: DUTTON, LOWER, BURT, DAKOURI (McGarrity 65 mins), GUEST, MOUDIME (Towers 53 mins), BROWN, WOODWARD, TOWNSEND (Faulkner 78 mins), HARKIN, DOWNES. Unused subs: Cairns and Hill



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s